This easy, autumnal soup offers a hearty lunch for a blustery day. Parsnips make lovely smooth creamy textured soups and their sweet flavour is classic when teamed with the sharp Bramley apples.The dish freezes brilliantly, so is great for batch cooking and freezing in individual portions, minus the garnish.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 750g parsnips, peeled and diced into 2cm pieces
- 2 Bramley cooking apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- a small handful of sage leaves, chopped
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 100ml double cream (optional), plus a drizzle for garnish
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the crispy sage
- 25g butter
- a small handful of sage leaves
- a pinch of sea salt flakes
1. Heat the oil in a large heavy based pan set over a low heat. Add the onion and fry gently for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft and light golden brown.
2. Add the parsnip, apple, garlic and sage and season well with salt and pepper. Stir-fry for another couple of minutes before pouring in the stock. Bring up to a steady simmer and cook gently, uncovered, for another 15 minutes or so until the parsnips are soft and tender.
3. Process the soup until really smooth – either by using a stick blender in the pan, or by carefully transferring to a liquidiser. Stir through the cream, if using, and add a splash of water if it’s too thick. Reheat gently and taste to check the seasoning.
4. To make the crispy sage garnish, set a small frying pan over a medium heat and add the butter. Once it melts and begins to foam gently, add the sage leaves and salt, fry for a minute or so until crisp, stirring a little to keep the leaves separate. Remove from the heat and set aside.
5. To serve, ladle the soup into warmed bowls, garnish with a little drizzle of extra cream and top
with a few crispy sage leaves. Serve immediately while piping hot.
Discover more great recipes.
Main photo ©Getty
Choose a subscription offer to suit you and benefit from generous savings on the shop price, free UK delivery and discounts off special editions and back issues.