20 facts you (probably) didn’t know about Countryfile presenter Matt Baker
1. Matt says he feels happiest on the family farm in Durham – read about his favourite places in the county here.
2. Matt lives in Hertfordshire with wife Nicola and children Luke and Molly.
4. Matt usually writes his own voiceovers for Countryfile.
5. Matt’s favourite radio show is Bob Harris’s Country.
6. Matt studied at drama school in Edinburgh.
7. His acting roles include playing Prince Charming and Aladdin in pantomimes.
8. Matt toured the country playing ‘Butch Vendor, the LA bartender’ as part of a 1970s comedy disco-dancing revival show called ‘Disco Inferno’.
9. Matt tried to move to London when he worked on Blue Peter but lasted only six months before moving out to the Chilterns.
10. Matt once trained as a stunt man in Florida.
11. Matt was a British gymnastic and sport acrobatics champion in his youth.
12. Matt’s awards include two BAFTAS and an RTS.
13. Matt raised millions of pounds for Children in Need with a rickshaw challenge from Edinburgh to London.
14. Matt often joins the BBC sport team as a world gymnastics presenter and commentator.
15. Matt played himself in an episode of Doctor Who in 2005.
16. Matt likes to draw and paint to relax.
17. Matt broke the world record for the highest altitude towed hang-cliding launch whilst on Blue Peter.
18. Matt takes his tea white, with no sugar.
19. Matt fights off the inevitable colds that come with filming in the open air with ginger.
20. And finally, a small Matt once won first prize in a fancy dress competition by dressing as the Incredible Hulk!
Choose a subscription offer to suit you and benefit from generous savings on the shop price, free UK delivery and discounts off special editions and back issues.