On Countryfile this Sunday: Isle of Man
Isle of Man, Photograph: ©Shutterstock
Shipwreck, Photograph: ©Shutterstock
GARDENS AND NATURE RESERVES
Stonechat, Photograph: ©Shutterstock
1. The Island hosts a network of steam and electric heritage railways, but for a more interesting way to travel, why not take the Douglas Horse Tram for 2 miles along the promenade? Previous travellers include the Queen, the late Queen Mother and Princess Margaret.
2. For art and culture lovers, the Gaiety Theatre boasts a programme of shows, musicals, pantomimes, plays and concerts all year round. Tours of the theatre are also available in the summer months, and if you’re curious, why not ask about the ghostly lady that haunts seat B14?
3. The Isle of Man hosts 8 lighthouses dating back as far as 1818, and built to deter passing boats from the perilous rocks surrounding the Island. Visitors can walk to these lighthouses, taking in the beautiful scenery of the coastline, while some are open to guests and the public.
Lighthouse, Photograph: ©Shutterstock
TOWNS AND VILLAGES
1. The ancient capital, Castletown, is home to Castle Rushen, the impressive fortress that was once the residence of the Kings and Lords of Mann. Built in 1265, visitors can climb to the roof of the castle, presenting panoramic views of Castletown and beyond. For those brave enough, regular ghost tours lead visitors around the castle, exploring the old prison cells, creaking corridors and haunted folktales!
2. Port Erin in the South is a perfect desintation for those wanting long walks along sandy beaches and plenty of heritage attractions. Popular since the Victorian era, the picturesque harbour is home to the Old Grammar School, Nautical Museum and the Old House of Keys, the previous home of the Manx Parliament.
3. For those with energetic children, Ramsey in the North of the Island is home to several centers for outdoor pursuits, such as watersports and climbing, long stretches of beach, a boating lake, funfair and children's play areas, as well as a wildlife park with animals from across the globe.
Carousel, Photograph: ©Shutterstock
Sorry, there were no results for your search. Please try again.