Ruby-coloured, sweet and highly versatile, the tomato is one of our most popular fresh ingredients in British cooking.
Make this delicious fruit the star of the table with a recipe from The Tomato Stall – a band of dedicated tomato growers in Arreton Valley on the Isle of Wight.
You will need
• 375g fresh ready-rolled puff pastry
• 2 heaped tbsp fresh basil pesto
• 50g slow roasted tomatoes with garlic, basil
and extra virgin oil, roughly chopped
• Two big handfuls of tomatoes, halved
• 100g mozzarella, roughly chopped
• Olive oil
• Fresh basil leaves to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C. Unroll the puff pastry and cut into four equal rectangles. Score a 1cm border around the edge. Prick the centre of the pastry all over with a fork, place on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
2. Spread the pesto over the centre of the pastry, top with the chopped slow roasted tomatoes and then the halved tomatoes and finally the mozzarella.
3. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil. Return to the oven for 10 minutes. Serve with a few fresh basil leaves on top.
Discover more tomato recipes at: thetomatostall.co.uk
Main image ©thetomatostall
Choose a subscription offer to suit you and benefit from generous savings on the shop price, free UK delivery and discounts off special editions and back issues.