When travelling through the South-West, Hestercombe Gardens is an absolute must-see – and just a short distance from the M5. Often referred to as the ‘jewel in Somerset’s crown’ and the ‘gateway to the Quantocks’, Hestercombe’s Formal Gardens, designed by Gertrude Jekyll and Sir Edwin Lutyens, are at their most colourful, sumptuous best during the summer and early autumn months. You’ll discover your inner peace and tranquillity as you meander through the huge, lush Georgian Landscape Garden, with ‘borrowed’ views from each of the exotic seats displaying true magnificence.
Your visit here should include a wander around the contemporary art gallery for a cultural twist – and their Column Room Restaurant serves lunches and afternoon teas with simply stunning views across the Vale of Taunton to the Blackdown Hills. You can also drop into the Stables Cafe, Gift Shop and well-stocked Plant Centre free of charge.
- Historic Grade 1 heritage gardens situated across 50 acres in the heart of Somerset, dating back to the 13th Century.
- Features three centuries of garden design.
- Georgian Landscape Garden designed by Coplestone Warre Bampfylde.
- Features Victorian terrace and shrubbery.
- Edwardian ‘Formal’ Gardens designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens and Gertrude Jekyll.
- Explore Hestercombe’s WWI and WWII history.
- Formerly the HQ of Somerset Fire Service, 1954-2004.
- Contemporary Art Gallery open daily, 11am-5pm.
- Beautiful restaurant overlooking the gardens open Weds-Fri, 12-4pm.
- Stables Cafe open 10am-5pm daily, serving home-made cakes, lunches and drinks.
- A varied events schedule for all ages including family garden trails, art and crafts workshops, theatre and music performances, art installations, summer late openings, food and drink. Check listings at www.hestercombe.com/whats-on.
- Discounts for new members.
- Family friendly.
- All access routes for disabled visitors; plus advance ‘tramper’ hire (contact Ticket Office to book slot).
- Dog friendly throughout gardens, cafe, shop & plant centre, treats provided on arrival!
10am - 5pm (summer hours); 10am - 4pm (winter hours)
Adults £12.50; Children £6.25; disabled & carers £6.25 (NB prices subject to change from 1 January 2020)