Chances are your granny would have made a version of this cake in a loaf tin with leftover tea from the teapot. While you can still do this, teabread gets a more modern makeover with green tea and naturally sweet dried fruits with just a tiny amount of added sugar and a sticky marmalade glaze. The dried mixed fruit needs to be soaked for at least 4 hours, so plan ahead.
This recipe is an extract from Vegan Cookbook by Tony and Yvonne Bishop-Weston (9780754834441 ©Lorenz Books 2019).
- Dried mixed fruit 450g/1lb
- Hot green tea 300ml/½ pint, strained if needed
- Self raising wholemeal flour 250g/9oz
- Light muscovado sugar 75g/3oz
- Dessert apple 1, cored and coarsely grated
- Zest of ½ lemon grated
- Zest of ½ orange grated
- Fine-cut orange marmalade 15ml/1 tbsp, to glaze
Discover more delicious vegan recipes
This recipe is an extract from Vegan Cookbook by Tony and Yvonne Bishop-Weston (9780754834441 ©Lorenz Books 2019). This colourful publication is a comprehensive practical reference to vegan food and eating, with advice on ingredients, nutrition and over 140 deliciously healthy recipes.