Spelt is an ancient grain with a nutty attractive flavour.
These plump cooked grains flatter the sweet cooked parsnip, bitter radicchio and the walnuts. Adding grains to gratin dishes can give ballast and easily swell a dish to feed more mouths.
More Christmas veg recipes:
- Pan fried brussels sprouts with sage, brown butter and grated chestnuts
- Malted carrots with sunflower seeds
Here’s how to make parsnips with crème fraîche and walnuts.
- Parsnips 600g
- Creme fraiche 200ml
- Pearled spelt or pearl barley 150g
- Large radicchio Half
- Fresh thyme leaves Half tbsp
- Dijon mustard 2 tsp
- Shelled walnuts 50g, roughly chopped
- Nutmeg about a quarter, grated
- Salt and pepper to taste