1. Waterproof/windproof shell – Obvious but essential. Bring waterproof over-trousers as well.
2. Warm hat/gloves – Little bodies will feel the cold fast if the weather turns chilly and blustery on the hills.
3. Leggings and long-sleeved tops – There are ticks present in the forests around Aviemore.
4. Torch – You’ll obviously need a headtorch or similar, so unless you want it commandeered by a five-year-old, make sure they have a small torch, too.
5. Monocular or small pair of binoculars – These will be hugely popular and instantly appropriated. Field guide For wildlife, birds, butterflies.
6. Favourite teddy or doll – Ideally with an agreed limit to how bulky this can be (guess who’ll end up carrying it?).
Main image credit: © Rudolf Abraham
Kit image: Steve Sayers