May is a wonderful time of new life and green growth. Blue tits are nesting in the old apple tree, clouds of cow parsley decorate the hedgerows, a bird box offers shelter to a tree bumblebee colony and fox cubs are gambolling about the gooseberry patch, much to the disgruntlement of our geese.
The warmer weather means it’s time for the sheep to be sheared, the bees to be checked for signs of swarming and the vegetable patch to rocket into production. Right now, it’s broad beans a gogo!
- Podded broad beans 300g
- New potatoes, scrubbed 500g
- Garden mint leaves, chopped Small handful
- Radishes, sliced Small bunch
- Dill A few fronds
- Pea shoots (optional) Small handful
- Borage flowers (optional) Small handful
- Freshly ground black pepper
For the salad dressing
- Dijon mustard 1 tbsp
- Apple cider vinegar 1 tbsp
- Sugar 1 tbsp
- Sunflower oil 6 tbsp
Words and pictures by Kathy Bishop and Tom Crowford.