Tomato and raspberry salad
- Serves 2
- 4 slices of slightly stale bread cut into small chunks
- 10 Plum tomatoes, ripe and juicy, roughly chopped
- A small handful of fresh basil
- A small handful of fresh mint leaves
- A small handful of fresh marjoram
- 1 Red onion, finely diced
- A large handful of Fresh raspberries
- 200g Ricotta or mozzarella cheese
- Fine salt
- Edible flowers to garnish (optional)
For the dressing
- 50ml Red wine vinegar or cider vinegar, or whatever you have to hand
- 1tbsp Runny honey
- 200ml Cold-pressed oil (I love olive oil, but rapeseed also works)
- STEP 1
Add the chunks of slightly stale bread to a large mixing bowl. Add the chopped tomatoes, sprinkle them with a pinch of salt and leave for 15 minutes – this not only intensifies the flavour of the tomatoes but also draws out the liquid, which the bread will absorb.
- STEP 2
Rip all the fresh herbs into pieces with your fingers and add to the bowl. Add the finely diced onion and the raspberries.
- STEP 3
For the dressing, combine the vinegar, honey and oil in a small bowl and whisk together vigorously. Lightly drizzle some dressing over the salad.
- STEP 4
Using your hands so as not to bruise the salad too much, mix the ingredients together, then mount the salad onto two serving plates.
- STEP 5
Scatter over your ricotta or mozzarella in blobs or chunks and finish with one last small drizzle of the dressing before serving. Garnish with edible flowers if you like.