What says Christmas better than a steaming hot mug of mulled wine and a mince pie?
As a thoughtful gift for a friend or neighbour, this quick and easy present will always go down well.
Why not write out the recipe instructions (“Add to red wine, heat and serve!”) on a label and tie that to the bag too?
You will need:
- 5 or 6 cloves
- 2 or 3 pieces of star anise
- Cinnamon stick
- Ground ginger
- Ground nutmeg
- 1 tbsp Demerara sugar
- 2 muslin spice bags
- Orange peel
1. Put all the ingredients, apart from the cinnamon stick, into a muslin bag.
2. Tie the strings tightly and place the bag into a second muslin bag.
3. Drape the bag around the neck of a bottle and tie a small piece of ivy or similar foliage onto the cinnamon stick for decoration, securing the ends with baker’s twine. (Do not, of course, use the ivy in your drink.)
4. Decorate with a label cut from card, write your message and add to the bag.
Main image: Steve Sayers