What you’ll need
1 envelope (about 2 and a half teaspoons) unflavored gelatin
3 tablespoons corn syrup
Touch of oil
What to do
1. Mix the flour, water, corn syrup and gelatin together to form a smooth paste. Slowly add the birdseed and stir until it is all fully coated.
2. Coat the cookie cutters with a little oil and place them on a paper-lined pan. Spoon the mixture into the cookie cutters, pressing it down firmly with the back on the spoon to pack the mixture into the cookie cutters as tight as possible. Make the ornaments in any shape you like – hearts, stars, animals, whatever your mum prefers.
3. Cut the straws into three-inch segments and press the straw into the top quarter of the birdseed-filled cookie cutter. Make sure the hole goes all the way through the mixture. Leave the straw in the ornament and allow to dry for three to four hours.
4. Once the birdseed ornaments have dried, take out the straw and carefully remove the ornaments from the cookie cutters. Allow to harden overnight.
5. Tie twine through the holes so that they can be hung on branches.
You could present these to your mum hung on a wooden mug tree that she can place beside the back door.
Click here for more Mother’s Day ideas.