Originating in the Middle East, the cultivated fava bean reached British tables in the Iron Age. Experience the delicious taste of this versatile ingredient with our fava bean bessara.
- 400g split dried fava beans
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Juice of 2 lemons
- To serve: cumin, paprika, olive oil
1. Place the beans and garlic in a large pan, cover with 1.5 litres cold water and cook on a medium high heat for around 40 minutes until they are soft, skimming occasionally.
2. Puree the beans and garlic, either by hand or in a food processor. Stir in the olive oil, spices and lemon juice. Add a little water if required until the desired consistency.
3. Serve the bessara hot, drizzled with olive oil and seasoned with cumin and paprika.
Main image ©Keiron Tovell