Looking for a locally grown alternative in the kitchen? Why not try the delicious and versatile fava bean?
Makes 16 – 24 falafels
- 500g dried split fava beans, soaked overnight (no need to boil)
- 1 red onion
- Big bunch fresh coriander
- 1 red chilli pepper
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 10 mint leaves
- 3 pinches coarse salt
- 3 pinches fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
1. Roughly chop the herbs, chilli and onion. Mix in the beans, spices and lemon zest,
and pulse in a food processor until fairly smooth (but not to a paste).
2. Roll into ping-pong-ball-size patties and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
3. Pour 2-3 inches of oil into a pan and heat. When the oil is very hot, deep fry the patties for a few minutes until dark golden brown
4. Place on kitchen paper to drain and sprinkle lightly with salt.
5. Serve with a yoghurt and mint sauce, a lightly dressed salad and some pitta bread.