Spinach – a verdant, juicy leaf, packed full of nutrients – is at its seasonal best from early March through to June. Bake it en cocotte (in a small heatproof dish) with clotted cream and eggs and serve with good crusty bread to create a winning, quick midweek supper.
Looking for more dishes to bring warmth and nourishment to your evenings? Why not try a vegan toad in the hole with vegan gravy, a delicious stuffed squash or a heart-warming butterbean and tomato soup?
- Eggs 4
- Spinach, leaves shredded if large, whole if baby leaves 200g
- Cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped 3
- Large shallots, peeled and finely chopped 2
- Butter 40g
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Sage leaves 5
- Double cream 200ml
- Clotted cream 225g
- Freshly grated nutmeg ¼ tsp
- Cheddar cheese, or any hard cheese, finely grated 50g
- Crusty bread or toast