If you plan to walk with your camping kit on your back, a lightweight approach really pays dividends. The rule of thumb is to keep your pack weight under 10kg – a goal this super-light camping kit will help you achieve, says Hanna Lindon.
1. Zephryos 2 Tent, Wild Country, £150: A relatively affordable alternative to sister brand Terra Nova’s classic Laser Competition 2 model, this is hardy, reasonably easy to pitch and weighs a mere 1.81kg packed. 01773 833300, www.terra-nova.co.uk
2. Ultralite 600 sleeping bag, Vango, £80: Breathable, comfortable and just 1.1kg, this lightweight three-season sleeping bag is a good, solid all-rounder. I like the anti-snag zip and the additional chest room, which means you can turn over in the night without getting tangled up. 01474 746000, www.vango.co.uk
3. Evolite backpacking mattress, Therm-a-Rest, £100: A brand new model that combines the high-loft comfort of an air mattress with the weight and self-inflating properties of a camping mat. 07734215821, www.thermarest.com
4. 2-person mess kit, MSR, £22: This bowl, mug and spork set will only add an extra 136g to your pack – and yet nothing in it feels flimsy. 07734215821, www.msrgear.com
5. Windboiler Stove, MSR, £110: Jaw-dropping fuel efficiency, impressive wind resistance and a speedy boil time all wrapped up in a thermos-sized package. If you walk in all weathers and need a compact, fuss-free cooking system then this award-winning stove is for you. 07734215821, www.windboiler.eu
6. Ambient Light Dry Bag, Mammut, £15: Shave an extra few grams off your pack weight with this piece of simple design genius – a three-litre dry bag that doubles up as a light-diffusing lantern. Use it for storing food or water during the day, then fix a head torch to the bottom for an instant night light. It’s the ultimate prop for romantic nights under canvas. 01625 508218, www.mammut.ch
7. Ultralite Wash Holdall, Lifeventure, £19.99: A squashable, exceptionally light wash bag with detachable mirror. It combines with Lifeventure’s Dry Wash (£3.50), All Purpose Soap (£3.25) and Shaving Leaves (£2.75) to ensure you’ll stay dapper on multi-day walking trips. 0118 9811433, www.lifeventure.co.uk
8. Compact Travel Towel, Craghoppers, £11: Smaller than a tennis ball when compressed and yet with the drying power of something far larger and fluffier, this super-absorbent towel should have a place in every backpack. 0161 7491300, www.craghoppers.com
9. Trailhead backpack, Berghaus, £90: This barely-there pack offers a simple and comfortable way to get into lightweight camping without spending a fortune. 0345 607 2477, www.berghaus.com
Hanna Lindon is a freelance journalist who writes about walking, scrambling and general outdoor adventuring. She spends most weekends wild camping in Snowdonia, rambling in the Lake District or teetering along vertiginous ridges in Scotland – all in the name of research, of course.
Main image credit: Loop Images/ Contributor