Mindfulness Week: how to take part and calming activities to enjoy daily
We've teamed up with In the Moment Magazine to run an autumn-themed mindfulness week starting on 7th October 2019. Find out more about the week and discover calming activities to enjoy daily with our guide to Mindfulness Week 2019.
From forest walks to creating beautiful natural crafts, autumn is the perfect time to connect with nature and engage in mindful activities - either by heading outdoors or retreating inside to hide from the elements.
We’ve teamed up with In the Moment Magazine for a special autumn mindfulness week beginning on 7th October.
Find out more about the week and discover calming activities to enjoy daily with our guide to Mindfulness Week 2019.
How can I take part?
You can follow what’s happening on social media or return to this page to see what’s been added as the week goes on. Each day we will add new ideas for you to try. See the daily themes for the week below.
Follow BBC Countryfile Magazine on social media:
Follow In The Moment on social media:
What are the themes for Mindfulness Week?
Each day we will focus on a different theme and share mindful ideas to help you enjoy each daily experience.
Monday – Stargazing
The UK has a growing number of great places to go stargazing and is the perfect mindful activity to enjoy in autumn and winter.
Find inspiration for the best stargazing sites in the UK, plus how to do it mindfully:
- Discover the best places to see the stars in the UK
- How to be a mindful stargazer and discover the stories behind the constellations
- Get started with this beginner’s guide to astronomy from BBC Sky at Night magazine
Tuesday – Creativity
Crafting is a great way to unwind and absorb your self in the moment. Capture the beauty of nature in your home with these nature-inspired crafty ideas:
- How to make autumn leaf tealight jars
- How to make leaf-pressed coasters
- How to make pebble dominoes
- How to create beautiful nature art using leaves and stones
- Starry night crochet blanket pattern
- Botanical watercolours by Emma Mitchell
Wednesday – Foraging
There is a wide variety of food you can forage for in Britain, including nuts, seeds, fruits, vegetables and more. Our expert monthly foraging guide includes advice on how to forage safely, the law and what’s in season each month. Here is some inspiration to get you started:
- Monthly foraging guide: what’s in season, where to find it, and how to forage responsibly
- Podcast: go spring foraging in Monmouthshire with Adele Nozedar
- Best foraging courses in the UK
- Urban foraging with Rachel de Thample
Thursday – Coast
According to Ordnance Survey, Great Britain’s coastline is 11,073 miles (17,820 km) in length. With so much shoreline to be explored, we’re spoilt for choice with places to walk. Listening to the sound of the sea while breathing in fresh salty air is a great way to unwind and relax. Here we've shared a couple of mindful ideas to enjoy by the sea:
- Beachcombing guide: things to find along the seashore and best beaches in the UK
- How to be a mindful beachcomber
- How to be mindful by the sea and feel less stressed
- Britain’s best coastal walks
Friday – Wildlife
Watching wildlife is one of life's great joys – and Friday's theme of wildlife is a lovely mindful activity to enjoy too. Which of nature's most magnificent spectacles will you see in the British countryside this autumn?
- Britain’s best autumn wildlife spectacles
- Britain’s best nature reserves for walks and wildlife
- How to be a mindful birdwatcher and make your own bird feeders
Saturday – Cooking and baking
Who doesn't love a warming soup or hearty stew in autumn? Our theme for Saturday is cooking and baking, and you'll find plenty of inspiration for traditional recipes in our food section.
- Hearty and healthy soups for autumn and winter
- Homemade crumpets
- How mindful baking can improve your mood and reduce stress
- Blackberry and apple kombucha recipe
- Comfort food recipes
- The perfect sloe gin recipe
Sunday – Walking
Walking in nature has been proven to be good for our mental health. Sunday is the perfect day for a countryside walk, so we end our Mindfulness Week with the theme of walking. We have hundreds of walking routes for all abilities, so find plenty of inspiration in our walking section. Happy walking!